Monday, May 10, 2010

Don't Burn The Soup!

I love World War II history. It may have been a dark period but there are so many lessons to be learned; stories of heroism amidst tragedy abound. Here we are at war again and yet the sacrifices we are making pale in comparison to what The Greatest Generation had to deal with. Millions died, all so one singular man could justify his existence. But enough waxing philosophical. This is a food blog and what better way to celebrate peace and life than to talk about food!

I have always been intrigued by the story of Anne Frank and her book was always on my list of books to read. It never occurred to me to add it to my list of children’s literature for my cookbook, mainly because, contrary to the belief of some extremists, it is not a work of fiction. In fact, it is the only non-fiction book on the list.

Then I saw her diary played out on a special on PBS (Masterpiece Theater, I think? Yeah…no cable means I watch a lot of PBS). I was hooked. Why do we not teach this story in high school? Why is it not required reading for our kids? I had to read Catcher in the Rye, which may have been a classic, but is not nearly as poignant and profound. Especially considering the author was only 13 when she started writing.

So what does this have to do with food? Anne actually talks quite a bit about food, although not in great detail like J.K Rowling or Lemony Snicket did. She talks mostly about things like their eating habits, peeling potatoes, her father’s jam making business or Mr. Dussel secretly hording food. I was extremely delighted when she talked about watching Mr. van Daan making mettwurst, so much so that I have to try it, even if it kills my diet! It’s interesting considering the main meat used in mettwurst is pork. They must not have been all that orthodox, which would explain them celebrating St. Nicholas’ Day. Of course, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Beans and potatoes were a big staple for them; easily cooked, easily stored and in plentiful supply compared to other rationed foods. They had “brown beans”, which I assume to be pinto, navy beans, and split peas. The split peas intrigued me the most because her mom had put them on the stove and forgot them, not only burning the peas but ruining the pan as well. Oh, how I can relate! I did that to a pot of lentils once. Luckily I managed to save the pan.

Not everyone likes split pea soup and I can understand why. Sometimes it looks like something from the diaper of a sick baby. Sorry. Had to be said. I like mine chunky with big bits of potatoes, carrots, onion and ham. (The soup, not the diaper!) With their rationing I can’t imagine them wasting anything like potatoes and carrots on a soup and being Jewish, the ham is out too.

So, I have two recipes here. One is how I make it at home. The other is how I think Mother Frank would have made it in the Secret Annex’s kitchen.

My Split Pea Soup

1 lb split peas
1 tsp salt
1 ham shank bone
2 quarts vegetable broth
2 quarts water
1 lb diced ham
½ lb German potatoes (red ones - or any kind you like), washed and diced large
½ lb carrots, peeled and diced large
1 onion, diced small
½ tsp liquid smoke
1 T fresh thyme, chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the split peas, ham bone, water and vegetable broth in a large pot. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the ham, potatoes, carrots, onion and liquid smoke. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until split peas and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh thyme, simmer for about 5 minutes and taste for salt and pepper. Remove the bone before serving.

Mother Frank’s Split Pea Soup

2 lbs split peas
1 onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 gallon water
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook 50 minutes to one hour, stirring occasionally. Taste for salt and pepper.


Just don't burn the soup!

No comments: