Friday, December 11, 2009

Eleven Pipers Piping

Ah, finally an obvious day. I had no problem at all coming up with something piping, although cake decorating is out. It’s fun but not much I can do in the way of writing about it. I could’ve done cannelloni or manicotti or perhaps some stuffed giant seashell pasta. I could’ve done something more festive, like éclairs perhaps, but those are easy to mess up as my friend Lexy found out a couple months ago.

Honestly, though, I didn’t think twice about it. None of those ideas ever crossed my mind. It was always going to be cannoli. There’s only one problem. Well, two actually. I have yet to find a cannoli recipe that doesn’t require cannoli pipes to wrap the dough around. The other is the fact that I have never made cannoli before. I’ve seen it done but that’s about it.

But should that stop me? Nope. I found this recipe by Mario Batali online and I‘ve adapted it to give it my own personal Southwestern touch. Normally I’m leery of TV chefs. It’s all about keeping up appearances with them, and that can get very annoying. But anyone who roams around Spain with Gwyneth Paltrow is aces in my book!

Eleven Pipers Piping

Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit Crème Stuffed Cannoli

Shells :

2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons Marsala wine (or substitute 4 T apple juice and 2 T grape juice)

Filling :

1 lbs ricotta cheese
¼ c lemon juice
1 5 oz jar Cactus Jelly
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 quarts canola oil, for frying
Powdered sugar, for dusting

To make the shells: Mix together the dry ingredients and cut in butter with 2 knives. Add the Marsala (or fruit juices) and shape the dough into a ball. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate.

Heat 2 quarts canola oil in 3 ½ quart pot to 360° - 375° F.

To make the filling : In a mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta, lemon juice and jelly until well combined. Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with an open tip, and place the bag in the refrigerator.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 4 equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll 1 piece onto flat surface until it measures 1/16-inch thick. Using a cookie cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 4-inch circles. Using a rolling pin, elongate the circles into ovals.

Wrap the ovals lengthwise around the metal cannoli tubes (or anything similar that is sanitary and won’t melt in the oil). Using your fingertips, seal the edges shut with egg whites. Use your fingertips to flare the ends open.

Working in small batches, carefully lift the cannoli shells and place them in the hot oil. Fry the shells until golden brown on both sides, about 2 -3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, remove the finished shells to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain on paper towels as they cook.

When the shells are cool enough to touch, carefully twist the molds away from the shells. Shells may be made 1 day in advance and rest unfilled and uncovered. When ready to eat, stuff cannoli with cactus fruit crème, dust with powdered sugar.

No comments: