Friday, November 20, 2009

The Great Pumpkin is AWOL

So I went to the store the other day to buy some pumpkins. It was just a few days after Halloween so I thought there’d still be some left, even if all that was left were the misshapen, blemished ones destined for the Island of Misfit Gourds. Think Charlie Brown and that tiny bare tree he rescued from the tree lot. Only this time, there was no Snoopy to save the day. Like Linus, I spent too much time in anticipation and not enough time in preparation. He sat and waited for the Great Pumpkin to arrive but forgot to prepare himself for the fact that the magical gourd might not come. I never took into account that there would be no pumpkins for sale after Halloween.

Why is it stores only sell pumpkins until Halloween? I understand the pre-occupation with Jack-o-lanterns. I was once a kid myself. But honestly, has our society devolved to the point where no one uses fresh pumpkin squash for anything? It’s Soyent Green all over again (if you ever see that movie, you may never eat again, ever!). I mean, canned pumpkin is ok, (store bought ready-made pie, not so much) but once you try using fresh pumpkin, you‘ll never see pumpkin pie in the same light again.

Maybe it‘s the daunting task of working with such a large vegetable. Maybe it’s the stringy slimy goop inside. Whatever the case may be, whatever your fears or trepidations, it’s a small price to pay for fresh pumpkin. Hopefully, these two methods that I use can make cooking with fresh pumpkin a little less arduous.

Method One: After discarding the seeds cut the pumpkin in half or quarters depending on how large the pumpkin is. Rub a little olive oil on the inside of each piece and place them skin down on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Roast for 30 minutes at 350° or until the pumpkin is soft and starting to brown. Cool completely. You should be able to peel the skin off easily. This method is best used for pumpkin pies, pureed soups and the such.

Method Two: I like this method best because it allows me to use pumpkin in more than one way, such as in savory dishes where I want the pumpkin squash to be soft, yet firm. It also allows me to prepare several pumpkins at a time and freeze them so I can have fresh pumpkin squash year round. After cleaning the pumpkin, cut it into thin wedges as you would a cantaloupe for your breakfast. Using either a steamer in the bottom of a large pot or a double broiler with a steamer, bring some water to a boil. Steam enough pumpkin for one container or plastic freezer bag at a time for 10 minutes. Cool the pumpkin in an ice water bath (called shocking) for at least 2 minutes or until completely cooled before placing the pumpkin in any freezer-safe container. Carefully cut the skin off each wedge like you would take the rind off a cantaloupe. They should last a couple months in the freezer if properly protected. There are unlimited possibilities with this one!

Well, I guess I’ll have to keep looking, or hope that pumpkins will be on sale again next week. There’s always butternut of course.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

That's just lame......I could go off on Utah in general, but I won't....Actually, I've never cooked using real pumpkin......but I'm intrigued.